Monday, August 1, 2011

Ramadan

Well the Muslim Holy month of Ramadan has begun. This means drummers coming down the street at 3:30 in the morning banging their drums. It is an annoying tradition. They definitely do their job. I don't know how anyone can sleep while they're banging their drums. I would like to point out for the record that these days we do have things called alarm clocks.
Along with the drummers comes moody people. As their bodies get used to fasting, naturally, people get moody. I went to the store yesterday and was waiting to check out. A man and his children came up behind me and put all their groceries in the checkout lane. I thought, "Ah, no big deal. I'm sure they see me." Well when the man in front of me was finished, I told the cashier that I was here first and gave her my stuff. The man was shocked. As is the Turkish style, he did not talk directly to me. He talked to the cashier and his young daughter about what I did. I simply looked at him and told him that I was there first and that was the truth. I thought there was going to be an incident.
I felt like I needed justify myself even though I was in the right. I was reminded how many times Jesus was falsely accused. I was just at the grocery store. Jesus was healing the sick and setting the captives free. Still, people continually accused him of being a liar, of being crazy, or filled with demons. It was just my pride that wanted to prove that I was right.

Ramadan article

No comments: