Monday, October 22, 2007

In the News

If you keep up with the news, I'm sure you've noticed that Turkey has been mentioned a lot. The Armenian Genocide Bill that our government officials might pass is constantly in the news. Yesterday there were a number of Turkish soldiers killed and some believed to have been taken hostage from an attack by the PKK. The PKK is a terrorist organization that wants a country for the Kurdish people. Turkey has held them responsible for 30,000 deaths since the early '80's. Turkey has been at war with the PKK for years. It seems very likely now after this attack that Turkey will enter into northern Iraq. Needless to say it doesn't appear that relations between America and Turkey are getting better. With all this in the news, it's on every Turks mind. They always want to talk politics. By the way Angie and I as well as the other Americans that we know haven't received any backlash from the recent events. In fact nearly everyone I meet when they find out that I'm from America says something like, "Oh, America very good." They are talking about the opportunity to make money however. They hate our President and our politics. Frankly I'm sick about talking politics. Everyone hates America, but they want to go there and live. Go figure! I constantly remind myself I'm not representing America, I'm representing Christ. It can be very easy to get caught up talking politics instead of preaching the good news of Jesus Christ. Anyway of late I've just been telling people something to the effect of, "Men are bad and there will always be war. The world is going to end, but I'm not afraid because I'm going to live with Jesus." By the looks I get from most people, it appears they think I'm crazy. So far unfortunately no one has wanted to take the conversation further than that. We don't know what will happen in Turkey's near future. I would like everyone to please pray for me especially. Tomorrow in language school we are supposed to talk about what we think Americans want. I want to use my time as an opportunity to bring glory to God. I need wisdom.

No comments: