Friday, October 12, 2007

Free!

Today was the start of a three day holiday called Seker Bayram. Seker Bayram means sugar holiday. It comes at the end of Ramazan, the month of fasting. Generally kids will go door-to-door and you give them candy. Although I'm still waiting on kids to come to our door. I had to run an errand today, so I was off to the bus stop. The bus arrived and I began to put my card in the machine so I could ride the bus when I heard the word 'ucretsiz.' I looked at the driver and he said it again. Ucretsiz means I didn't have to pay for my ride on the bus. Now it was only 1ytl(1.17 right now), but still it was free. Apparently for the start of the holiday, the buses operated by the city were allowing people to ride for free. I found out that this is generally how it is during the major holidays. You know you just can't beat that price! Everyone loves to get something for free. In fact most people will take something they don't really need just because it's free. Well I was happy about my free ride. What's the first thing I did? I text messaged my wife and told her that I got a free ride. I received something that I thought was good and I immediately told someone else about it. We have a far greater gift in the salvation of Jesus Christ. It's free to us, thanks to God's great grace. Think of how excited you are when you get something for free, and you just want to call someone and tell them. Are you that excited about the gift of salvation that God has given you? Does it motivate you to tell someone else?

No comments: