Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Whole Health

Recently I met with a friend of mine whom I met one night playing soccer. He and I haven't seen each other in some months. He told me his wife was really sick and the doctors didn't give her much hope. Just to look at his wife you wouldn't know anything was wrong. She has a growth on her brain. It's not cancerous, but it is causing water to build-up around her brain. She has constant headaches. We really wanted to visit with this family and talk with her about what is going on in her life. We didn't have much of an opportunity to talk with her as her little daughter was by her side. I was hesitant to bring up death because I didn't know if they had talked to their daughter about this. I did however get to talk with the dad. According to his own words, he is a humanist. This world is as good as it gets. He said that he and his wife had cried the past 10 days over the situation. I gave him a New Testament, and told him that in this book he could study about Jesus and all that he did, and that he could find peace. He said that he just wanted to save his wife. It reminded me that Jesus wasn't just concerned with a persons physical health, he wanted them to have spiritual health. He loves to read. We are praying that he would read it and that as he does we will be able to talk to he and his wife about Jesus' saving grace.
He also gave me some x-rays of her brain. He asked me if I could get any advice from a brain surgeon. I told him I wasn't sure if I would be able to do anything because I don't know any brain surgeons. I told him that I would try. If it were my wife I would want someone to try. If any of you that read this happen to know anyone in this field of medicine, would you please contact me. I know it is a lot to ask of a surgeon, but this man knows nothing about malpractice and such. He just wants to know if it is as serious as the doctors here tell him. Surgery is risky, but there might not be another alternative. Pray that God would touch her heart about where she will spend eternity. Physical health is a blessing. How miserable it would be to have no physical or spiritual health. What hope would there be?

No comments: